About the Project
The Alex Fraser Bridge (AFB) is a critical commuter and goods movement road network crossing the Fraser River. With more than 120, 000 vehicles using the bridge daily, congestion was a growing problem, where road users were experiencing excessive delays and queues more than three kilometers long during rush hour.
The BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure sought solutions to reduce traffic congestion and travel times along the crossing while promoting sustainable economic development and respecting environmental and socio-community sensitivities. The Alex Fraser Bridge Improvement Project delivered solutions that achieved these important objectives and improved conditions with the addition of a seventh lane, an innovative movable barrier counter-flow system, and 13 new dynamic message signs throughout the Lower Mainland.
As the lead consultant, Binnie was responsible for both Project and Engineering Management, from early planning and business case/funding approval, through to detailed design and implementation/construction. This covered a full depth of technical expertise areas, including Transportation Planning, Traffic Engineering, Highway and Drainage Design, Project Management and Construction Services.
The Project’s success is a result of the following outstanding engineering achievements:
- An innovative solution involving reconfiguring the existing bridge to 7-lanes, and implementing a movable barrier counter-flow system – a first in Western Canada;
- Maximizing the use of existing infrastructure for increased capacity, while minimizing the net additional roadway footprint, promoting sustainable infrastructure development;
- Application of the latest Intelligent Transportation System technologies;
- Facilitating multi-stage construction along a highly trafficked corridor;
- Approximately 10 and 20-minute time savings during AM/PM peak travel periods, respectively.
Design management, preparing the highway and drainage designs, traffic engineering, and overseeing consultants providing structural, geotechnical and electrical/ITS engineering.
Binnie also provided project management services during the design and implementation phases of each project component.
Want to learn more?
Stay in touch with us
Subscribe to our mailing list!